×

Minnesota’s May Revenue Report Stronger Than Anticipated

By TJ Jun 11, 2021 | 10:52 AM

(Dene Dryden, KNSI) – The state of Minnesota brought in $1.796 billion more than expected in tax revenue during the month of May.

The Minnesota Management and Budget office released its May report on Thursday, affirming that the state’s net general fund revenues came to $3.3 billion that month. The office had projected in February that the state would see $1.5 billion in tax revenue during May.

The most significant bump in revenue when compared to the February forecast was in the state’s individual income tax revenue. The February forecast projected the state would see $627 million in individual income tax revenue, but the state actually brought in $2.33 billion, a difference of $1.704 billion. That’s a 272 percent increase over the projected value. The delayed federal and state tax filing deadline of May 17 was a likely contributor to this higher-than-projected revenue total.

Revenues for general sales tax and corporate franchise tax also exceeded expectations, bringing in $534 million and $53 million in revenue, respectively, during May.

In response to the report, Gov. Tim Walz said the state’s economy is strong.

“This strong economic outlook proves the people of Minnesota are resilient, and we should continue to invest in them,” Walz said. “With this news, I expect our state’s legislative leaders to come together to pass a budget for all Minnesotans. Minnesota’s COVID-19 Recovery Budget will allow us to continue to rise and rebuild by supporting working families, students, and small businesses while further driving our state’s economic recovery.”

“While we are still enduring the financial impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, today’s revenue report shows that Minnesota has the resources to make responsible and meaningful investments that help those who were hit hardest recover,” said Lt. Gov. Peggy Flanagan.

FOLLOW US FOR INSTANT UPDATES!

KWNO on Facebook

KWNO RADIOMar 26, 2025
open lightbox
A portion of West Broadway in Winona will be closing for about seven months. The closure starts April 7 and is part of the West Broadway Reconstruction project. According to the Office of Public Works, West Broadway will be closed to traffic from Hilbert Street to the railroad tracks between Jackson Street and South Baker Street. Vehicles westbound on Broadway are urged to turn off at South Baker to avoid having to turnaround near the tracks. Eastbound vehicles are recommended to turn off Broadway on Lee or Bierce Streets as the Hilbert Street intersection will be closed. A truck detour is planned on 5th Street. The closure is expected to last through October.
KWNO RADIOMar 21, 2025
Winona Police on Thursday afternoon responded to reports of a person being shot in the arm. Officers arrived in the 550 block of Mankato Avenue and found a man who had been shot in the arm with a pellet gun. He was alert and conscious and subsequently taken Winona Health for treatment. Around 5:00 law enforcement arrested 35-year-old John Edward Mullen at a residence on East 11th Street. In the home officers found several pellet guns. Mullen will be referred to the Winona County Attorney's Office for second-degree assault.
KWNO RADIOMar 18, 2025
Winona Police have arrested a 17-year-old boy who allegedly shot another teenager in the eye with a BB gun. According to a WPD spokesperson, officers made the arrest Monday afternoon at a residence in the 150 block of East 8th Street. The boy did live there and was possibly hiding out from police. He's charged with second-degree assault and threats of violence. Investigators say last Saturday a group of teenagers was hanging out in the playground area at the old Madison School. A confrontation arose and the boy shot the girl in the eye with the BB gun from "two to three steps away." The spokesperson said the victim does not appear to be seriously injured as she was struck in the eyelid, and the BB did not puncture the eye.