×

Winona State Football Looks to Bounce Back After Week One Loss, Head Coach Brian Bergstrom Joins the Winona Sports Network

By Jake Litman Sep 6, 2023 | 10:54 AM

WSU Football Shield–Photo Courtesy of WSU Football social media

(KWMN)- The Winona State Warrior Football team fell in their opening matchup with Saginaw Valley State, 34-24. With Concordia St. Paul on the Horizon, the Warriors are already looking to bounce back.

After a slow start, the Warriors allowed SVS to jump to a 27-0 lead. It wasn’t until seconds left in the first half that the Warriors put points on the board, with an 8-yard touchdown toss to Kaleb Skelly, from Cole Stenstrom. The Warriors fought back in the second half, but the clock ran out, and the comeback was just short.

Cole Stenstrom, University of South Dakota transfer, earned the starting job for week one. In what was maybe pre-game nerves and jitters, he didn’t get it going until that second half. Stenstrom looked the part from there, however. Showcasing his talent while giving the Warriors a chance late in the game. He finished the game 16/37 for 160 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. There were many of times when Stenstrom was just off on making a big play, which should be seen as a positive, rather than a negative. The Warriors couldn’t get their ground game going either. A lot of that had to do with the deficit the team was facing, which forced the Warriors to pass much more. They’ll look to run the ball more effectively this Saturday.

The defense, similar to the rest of the team, got off to a slow start as well, giving up 27 first half points. They bunkered down in the second half, only allowing seven more points. Regardless of the slow start, the defense managed to force three turnovers.

All in all, the message to the team afterwards was to avoid the slow start. If the team played all four quarters as they did for the last two, the outcome might’ve been much different.

Head Coach for the Warriors, Brian Bergstrom, joined the Winona Sports Network to discuss the loss, how to bounce back in week two, the quarterback competition, and more.

Audio Player

FOLLOW US FOR INSTANT UPDATES!

Activity Stream

KWNO RADIO25 minutes ago
A school bus fight may lead to a 16-year-old student being arrested for assault. According to a Winona Police Department spokesperson, on Wednesday afternoon the teenager allegedly "jumped" a 15-year-old boy, punching and attacking him for several minutes. After unsuccessfully trying to verbally break up the fight, the bus driver returned to Winona Senior High School where school staff intervened. By the time police officers arrived the alleged attacker was gone but the victim was still there. The WPD spokesperson said the victim's face was swollen and he may have suffered facial fractures. Officers identified the alleged attacker, and the spokesperson says an arrest and filing of assault charges could be forthcoming.
KWNO RADIOMar 21, 2025
Winona Police on Thursday afternoon responded to reports of a person being shot in the arm. Officers arrived in the 550 block of Mankato Avenue and found a man who had been shot in the arm with a pellet gun. He was alert and conscious and subsequently taken Winona Health for treatment. Around 5:00 law enforcement arrested 35-year-old John Edward Mullen at a residence on East 11th Street. In the home officers found several pellet guns. Mullen will be referred to the Winona County Attorney's Office for second-degree assault.
KWNO RADIOMar 26, 2025
open lightbox
A portion of West Broadway in Winona will be closing for about seven months. The closure starts April 7 and is part of the West Broadway Reconstruction project. According to the Office of Public Works, West Broadway will be closed to traffic from Hilbert Street to the railroad tracks between Jackson Street and South Baker Street. Vehicles westbound on Broadway are urged to turn off at South Baker to avoid having to turnaround near the tracks. Eastbound vehicles are recommended to turn off Broadway on Lee or Bierce Streets as the Hilbert Street intersection will be closed. A truck detour is planned on 5th Street. The closure is expected to last through October.