×

Winona County Health Offers Guidance for Residents Who Received Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Shot

By TJ Apr 14, 2021 | 10:09 AM

WINONA, Minn. (KWNO)-All 50 states have paused the distribution of the Johnson and Johnson COVID-19 vaccine following reports of six recipients experiencing serious blood clots.  

Winona County Health and Human Services administered 100 doses of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine last week. 

 “We do ask anyone to monitor for signs and symptoms,” said Winona County Public Health Supervisor Melanie Tatge when asked what people who got the shot should do. “If you develop a headache, abdominal pain, leg pain, or shortness of breath within three weeks after you received your Johnson and Johnson vaccine you should contact your healthcare provider.”    

Health officials administered 6.8 million doses of the one-shot vaccine. The CDC and FDA are investigating if the clots were related to the vaccine.  

The Minnesota Department of Health says they have not received reports of complications from the Johnson and Johnson shots as of Tuesday.  

Winona County Public Health and Winona Health are holding vaccine clinics on Thursday. Public health will administer the Moderna vaccine and Winona Health will issue the Pfizer vaccine.  

Tatge said public health is still encouraging residents to get vaccinated. “It does provide that protection from the COVID-19 virus. It lessens the severity of symptoms and we’re seeing that it lessens the severity of the COVID-19 variant strain symptoms. And it lessens your chance of death resulting from the virus,” Tatge said.   

Listen to the full interview with Winona County Public Health Melanie Tatge Supervisor below.

Audio Player

FOLLOW US FOR INSTANT UPDATES!

KWNO on Facebook

KWNO RADIOMar 26, 2025
open lightbox
A portion of West Broadway in Winona will be closing for about seven months. The closure starts April 7 and is part of the West Broadway Reconstruction project. According to the Office of Public Works, West Broadway will be closed to traffic from Hilbert Street to the railroad tracks between Jackson Street and South Baker Street. Vehicles westbound on Broadway are urged to turn off at South Baker to avoid having to turnaround near the tracks. Eastbound vehicles are recommended to turn off Broadway on Lee or Bierce Streets as the Hilbert Street intersection will be closed. A truck detour is planned on 5th Street. The closure is expected to last through October.
KWNO RADIOMar 21, 2025
Winona Police on Thursday afternoon responded to reports of a person being shot in the arm. Officers arrived in the 550 block of Mankato Avenue and found a man who had been shot in the arm with a pellet gun. He was alert and conscious and subsequently taken Winona Health for treatment. Around 5:00 law enforcement arrested 35-year-old John Edward Mullen at a residence on East 11th Street. In the home officers found several pellet guns. Mullen will be referred to the Winona County Attorney's Office for second-degree assault.
KWNO RADIOMar 18, 2025
Winona Police have arrested a 17-year-old boy who allegedly shot another teenager in the eye with a BB gun. According to a WPD spokesperson, officers made the arrest Monday afternoon at a residence in the 150 block of East 8th Street. The boy did live there and was possibly hiding out from police. He's charged with second-degree assault and threats of violence. Investigators say last Saturday a group of teenagers was hanging out in the playground area at the old Madison School. A confrontation arose and the boy shot the girl in the eye with the BB gun from "two to three steps away." The spokesperson said the victim does not appear to be seriously injured as she was struck in the eyelid, and the BB did not puncture the eye.